Tonya L. Breymier
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing and Health Services
Associate Dean for Nursing Graduate Programs and RN Mobility Programs
Hayes Hall 203
- Certificate, Robert Morris University, Leadership Instruction in Simulation and Management, 2016
- PhD Human Services, Capella University, 2012
- MS, Nursing Education, Ball State University, 2005
- BSN, Nursing, Wright State University, 1988
- Certified Online Instructor, LERN, 2014- present
- Certified Nurse Educator, NLN, 2011-present
Current Teaching/Research Interests
- Simulation in nursing education, leadership & mentoring, and online learning.
- Rutherford-Hemming, T., Alfes, C., & Breymier, T. (in press). A systematic review of the use of standardized patients as a simulation modality in nursing education. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Breymier, T., & Rutherford-Hemming, T. (2017). Use of high-fidelity simulation to increase knowledge and skills in caring for patients receiving blood products. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 29(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cnc.2017.04.010
- Baumann, P., Breymier, T., & Clark, K. (2017). QSEN competencies in the online environment. In R. Alexander (Ed.), Best Practices in Online Teaching and Learning across Academic Disciplines. Fairfax, Va: George Mason University Press.
- Breymier, T., Rutherford-Hemming, T., Horsley, T., Atz, T., Smith, L., Badowski, D., Connor, K. (2015). Substitution of clinical experience with simulation in pre-licensure nursing programs: A national survey in the United States. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11(11), pp. 472-478.
- Rutherford, T., Lioce, L., & Breymier, T. (2018). Prebriefing- The Essential to a Successful Simulated Experience. Society for Simulation in Healthcare, annual IMSH meeting, Los Angeles, California.
- Breymier, T. (September, 2017). Effective Teamwork and Collaborative Assignments in the Online Environment: Mastering the Challenges and Reaping the Benefits to Develop a Future Community of Colleagues. National League for Nursing Education Summit, San Diego, California.
- Breymier, T. (July, 2016) Substitution of clinical experience with simulation in pre-licensure nursing programs: A national survey. Oral presentation the Sigma Theta Tau 27th International Nursing Research Congress, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Rutherford-Hemming, T., & Breymier, T. (June, 2016). Determining Content Validity and Reporting a Content Validity Index for Simulation Scenarios. 15th Annual International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resource Centers Conference, Grapevine, Texas.
- Breymier, T. (June, 2017). The Use of Simulation to Foster Civility: The Next New Competency. Invited Speaker for the Indiana League for Nursing Spring Meeting, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Breymier, T. (August, 2015). INACSL standards of best practice: Simulation. Invited speaker for the Southeast Indiana Simulation Consortium, Lawrenceburg, Indiana.
- Breymier, T. (July, 2014). The future of nursing: Education and practice joining forces to advance health. Invited speaker for the Region II Perinatal Nurse Managers Annual Retreat, Greenville, Ohio.
Selected Academic Awards/Recognitions
- Elizabeth Lion University Service Award, Indiana University, 2016.
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award, Indiana University East, 2016.
- Helen Lees Award for Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University East, 2014.
- FACET induction, 2013.
- Karen Cobb in Creative Teaching in Nursing Education Award, Indiana University, 2009