Mary A. Cooksey
Senior Lecturer in Humanities
Whitewater Hall Room 259
- M.A. in English, Ball State University, 1982
- M.A. in Philosophy, Ball State University, 1982
- B.S. in Philosophy, Ball State University, 1980
Current Research Interests
Biomedical Ethics, Death and Dying, The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Selected Publications and Presentations
- 'Rigor versus Reality: The Challenge of Balance in the University classroom,' Quick Hits for Lecturers and Adjunct Faculty, Indiana University Press, 2015.
- 'The Once and Future King: The Status and Impact of Adjunct Faculty in the Academy in the 21st Century,' Quick Hits for Lecturers and Adjunct Faculty, Indiana University Press, 2015.
- Cooksey, M., Editor. (2009) Quick Hits for Service-Learning: Successful Strategies from Award-Winning Teachers. Bloomington, Indiana: FACET and Indiana University Press. “From Vision to Mission: An exploration of The Baxter Neighborhood Help Center Project. The Governor’s Conference on Service and Volunteerism, Indianapolis, Indiana, March 26, 2008.
- Cooksey, M. (2007). Crossroads and Common Ground, Indianapolis: Indiana Campus Compact.
"An Exploration of Criterion Five: Using Service Learning in Accreditation" The National Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana, November 5, 2007, and The International Symposium on Service Learning. The University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, May 15, 2007.
- "Using Service Learning to Teach Philosophy." Biennial Conference of the American Association of Philosophy Teachers, William and Mary College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, August 4, 2006.
- "Exploring the Engelbart Hypothesis: A Reflection." Computing and Philosophy Newsletter. March, 2006.
- Cooksey, M. "Logic in a New Light: The Political Activism Project." Quick Hits for Civic Engagement, Indiana University Press: Bloomington, Indiana, 2005.
- "An Assessment and Analysis of Instruction in Cyberethics" The WWW@10 conference, Indiana State University, September 30, 2004, The American Association of Philosophy Teachers Biannual Conference, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, August 6, 2004.
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- Coordinator of Freshman Year Experience and Faculty Member, The Honors College, Ball State University, 1987-2002
- Lecturer, Departments of English and Philosophy, Ball State University, 1982-2001
- Lecturer in Philosophy, Ball State University, 1982-1987
Selected Academic Awards/Recognitions
- Helen Lees Distinguished Teaching Award, Indiana University East, 2013
- Bender FACET Fellowship, Faculty Colloquium for Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University, 2013
- Member, Faculty Colloquium for Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University, 2012 - Present
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award, Indiana University East, 2008
- Brian Hiltunen Award for Scholarship of Engagement, Indiana Campus Compact, 2008
- Martin Luther King Multicultural and Diversity Award, Indiana University East, 2006
- Alpha Tau Omega National Chapter Advisor of the Year, Theta Alpha Chapter, 1992
- University Teaching Professor Award, Ball State University, 1989-1990
- Member, Oxford Roundtable on Women in the University, Harris-Manchester College, Oxford, England, 2015