Yu Kay Law, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Whitewater Hall 259
- 2010 - PhD in Biophysics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2004 - MA and MSci in Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge, UK.
Current Teaching Interests
General chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry.
Current Research Interests
Computational studies of the interplay between conformational distribution and the photophysics/photochemistry of nucleic acids and protein model compounds; mathematical preparation and student success in general chemistry.
- Law, Y. K. and Hassanali, A. A. The Role of Quantum Vibrations on the Structural, Electronic and Optical Properties of 9-Methylguanine. J. Phys. Chem. A 2015, 119, 10816-10827.
- Law, Y. K.; Forties, R. A.; Liu, X.; Poirier, M. G.; Kohler, B., Sequence-Dependent Thymine Dimer Formation and Photoreversal Rates in Double-Stranded DNA. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2013, 12, 1431-1439.
- Middleton, C. T.; de La Harpe, K.; Su, C.; Law, Y. K.; Crespo-Hernandez, C. E.; Kohler, B., DNA Excited-State Dynamics: From Single Bases to the Double Helix. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 2009, 60, 217-239.
- Law, Y. K.; Azadi, J.; Crespo-Hernández, C. E.; Olmon, E.; Kohler, B., Predicting Thymine Dimerization Yields from Molecular Dynamics Simulations. Biophys. J. 2008, 94, 3590-3600.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Law, Y. K., Development and Implementation of Online Courses in General Chemistry. In LEAP Indiana Faculty Collaboratives Conference, Indianapolis, IN, 2016.
- Law, Y. K.; Hassanali, A. A., Nuclear Quantum Effects are Important in Calculating the Electronic Spectrum of 9-Methylguanine. In 2015 Midwest Theoretical Chemistry Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, 2015.
- Law, Y. K.; Hassanali, A. A., The Role of Nuclear Quantum Effects on the Electronic Spectrum of 9-Methylguanine. In 2015 Joint Great Lakes/Central Regional Meeting, Grand Rapids, MI, 2015; p 303.
- Law, Y. K.; Olmstead, E. G., Jr., Predicting Success in General Chemistry: Different Measures and Why They Work. In Biennial Conference in Chemical Education 2014, Grand Rapids, MI, 2014; P395.
- Law, Y. K.; Olmstead, E. G., Jr., Evaluating the Probability of Success in General Chemistry Coursework Using Placement Testing and Course Prerequisite Information. In The 46th Midwest/39th Great Lakes Joint Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, St. Louis, MO, 2011; p 190.
- Law, Y. K.; Forties, R. A.; Liu, X.; Poirier, M. G.; Kohler, B., Structural Origin of the Sequence Dependence of Thymine Dimer Formation. In 15th International Congress in Photobiology, Düsseldorf, Germany, 2009.
- Law, Y. K.; Coons, M. P.; Azadi, J.; Kohler, B. In Cyclobutane Pyrimidine Dimer Formation in Oligonucleotides: Effects of Base Stacking and Base Pairing, ACS 39th Central Regional Meeting, Columbus, OH, Columbus, OH, 2008; p 271
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- 2010-2012 - Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Fort Hays State University, Hays, KS