Edwina L. Helton
Professor of English and Writing Program Director
Whitewater Hall 269
- Ph.D., English, Miami University.
- M.A., English, University of Akron.
- B.A., English, University of Akron.
- B.S., Psychology, University of Maryland Europe.
Current Research and Creative Activity
- Curriculum design and differentiated instruction
- literacy and the arts
- language development and disorders
- visual historiography
- Helton, E. L. (2011) “Teaching Portfolios for Stronger Program Assessment and Professionalization,” Presentation at the Writing Program Administrators National Conference. Baton Rouge, LA.
- Helton, E. L. (2010) “Revising Online Pedagogy Preparation: Effective Practices in an Evolving Online First-Year Composition Program.” WPA 2010. WPA. pp. 42-45.
- Helton, E. L. (2010) “Multi-Media Approaches to Teaching Multicultural Children’s and Young Adult Literature.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Helton, E. L. (2009) “Challenging Standard Views of Online Pedagogy: Effective Practices in Online First-Year Composition Programs.” Paper presented at Conference of College Composition and Communication in San Francisco, California.
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- Assistant Professor of English, Indiana University Kokomo, 1995-97.
- Assistant Director of College Composition, Miami University, 1992-95.
Selected Academic Awards/Recognitions
- Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence, Indiana University, 2009
- Arts and Humanities Initiative Research Support Grant Awards, Indiana University..
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2001.