Technology Requirements (2014)
A BSN student is required to purchase a notebook (laptop) computer as well as a Handheld Digital Device.
Indiana University East School of Nursing has implemented a technology requirement for all admitted nursing students effective fall 2006. This requires nursing students to have a notebook (laptop) and handheld digital device. The equipment will be integrated in classroom, clinical, and lab use. Specifics for the equipment are as follows
Options for Notebook Computers
When purchasing be sure to let your customer service representative know that you are an Indiana University student to receive any discounts. DO NOT purchase the MS Office package (Word, Excel, etc), IU East students can download it for free at http://iuware.indiana.edu/ or purchase a disk from the bookstore at a minimal cost.
The laptop you purchase should meet the following minimum requirements:
- 4GB RAM (minimum), 8GB is recommended
- Intel Corei3 CPU (minimum), i5 or greater is recommended
- Windows 7 Operating System (minimum), Windows 8 Operating System is recommended
- Highly recommend a 3 year warranty
- The following URL lists minimum specs for existing and newly purchased machines and has links to hardware sites that offer an IU discount. http://uits.iu.edu/page/antk
- The IU website - http://www.iue.edu/administration/it/
- Dell’s website - www.dell.com
- Any other vendor that deals with computer sales
* These costs change on a daily basis depending on where they are purchased.
HANDHELD DIGITAL DEVICE INFORMATION
- Nursing Central is compatible with Android and iOS devices. This includes the Kindle Fire and The Nook. It is also compatible with Blackberry. At this time the app cannot be downloaded onto Windows devices, although it can still be accessed via the web on those devices.
- 42 MB minimum
- Nursing Central Package
- Taber’s Encyclopedia Medical Dictionary, 21st edition
- Davis Drug Guide
- Disease and Disorders: A Nursing’s Therapeutic Manual
- Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications
- Nursing Central web component (Unbound MEDLINE): allows you to track leading journals in your field and search the medical literature from a PDA, wireless device or the Web. Unbound's Journal Browser delivers tables of contents and abstracts from the latest journal issue to your handheld on synchronization. To read full text online, simply tap "More online", sync, and link to the full text.
- Optional Software: The Handbook of Nursing Diagnosis for Mobile Devices
- Yearly renewal fee
Here are Indiana University East’s discount links for Nursing Central. The top link is for Nursing Central only, and the second one is for Nursing Central supplemented with the Handbook of Nursing Diagnosis. There is also included a short video link demonstrating what Nursing Central can do.
Visit www.unboundmedicine.com/products/nursing_central to learn more or purchase. Use discount code “iuedisc13” at checkout for 10% off your purchase of all Unbound Medicine Nursing titles!
The code for 10% off renewals is below:
Discount Code: Iuerenewal
As the time for renewal approaches, students will receive emails asking them to RENEW NOW. They will select Renew. Upon selecting Nursing Central and/or other resources to purchase, they will then enter the DISCOUNT CODE prior to selecting CHECK OUT.
Nursing Central with The Handbook of Nursing Diagnosis Discount Link: http://www.unboundmedicine.com/store/nursing_central_diagnosis?dcode=iuedisc