B. A. in Natural Science and Mathematics, Biology Concentration (120 cr.)
The Bachelor of Arts in Natural Science and Mathematics is designed for students who are interested in the flexibility and diversity of a liberal arts degree and the opportunity to pursue a more extensive study in natural science and mathematics. This flexible degree allows you a wide range of options, including the opportunity to develop one or more minors.
This degree offers concentrations in Biology, Biochemistry and Mathematics. The concentration in interdisciplinary studies allows you to design your own concentration combining two or more areas of study. If you are planning post-baccalaureate study, you should check the requirements of the specific program in which you are interested in order to plan your degree coursework appropriately.
Students who wish to teach science in secondary schools should consider the dual degree option for a B.A. in Natural Science and Mathematics (Biology Concentration) and a B.S. in Secondar Education.
A downloadable version is also available.
General Education Requirements (39 cr)
Composition and Communication (9)
- ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition I
- Choose one additional college level composition:
- SPCH-S 121 Public Speaking
College Level Mathematics (3)
- Choose 1 MATH-M course at or above MATH-M 118
Natural Science and Mathematics (9)
- Choose 9 credits, including one Natural Science course with lab, from:
Humanities & Fine Arts (9)
- Choose 9 credits from at least 2 of the following disciplines:
(Only one studio course, courses used to fulfill other requirements may not be used here.)
Behavioral & Social Sciences (9)
- Choose 9 credits from at least two of the following disciplines:
Additional Requirements (17-19 cr)
First-Year Seminar (0-2)
Students entering the program with less than 12 credit hours of transferable credit are required to complete the First-Year Seminar (UCOL-U 101)
Information Literacy (3)
- CSCI-A 110 Introduction to Computers & Computing (or equivalent)
World Languages (8)
- Choose the first two semesters of a World Language in sequence. Some substitutions may be allowed, consult with your advisor.
Additional General Education Requirement (6)
- Choose 1 additional course from the Natural Science & Mathematics course list above.
- Choose 1 additional course from the Humanities & Fine Arts course list above.
Biology Concentration (30 cr)
From the following three groups, choose 2 courses from each of 2 groups, then choose 1 course from the remaining group.
- Group: Evolution & Diversity
- Group: Cellular & Molecular
- Group: Ecological & Environmental
Electives (32-34 cr)
After Concentration requirements have been met, take enough credit hours to complete 120 credits.