B.S. in Mathematics
We are pleased to offer a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. You may complete this program from your computer at home or in the office, anywhere in the world.
Students who have their general education courses completed can graduate in two years or less. "One of the strengths of our new program is its flexibility and the high earning potential for graduates" says Dr. Markus Pomper, Chair of the Mathematics Department. "Students who have earned 60 or more credits from another institution may complete this degree in two years or less and never set foot on campus. We will work with students and design an individual degree completion plan that takes into consideration all coursework from other institutions."
The program is taught by award-winning faculty who are fervent about teaching and research. The school's comprehensive online mathematics program begins with common core of courses which includes calculus. Electives within the major allow students to choose an area of specialization, such as financial mathematics or pure mathematics.
A bachelor’s degree in Mathematics offers students a variety of career choices. Many of our graduates seek a career in teaching at the high school or community college level. Others choose to specialize in probability, finance and economics and find rewarding careers in actuarial science.
The B.S. in Mathematics requires 45 credit hours in mathematics. The common core consists of 27 credit hours in Calculus, Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra, Real Analysis and Mathematical Modeling. The remaining classes are largely electives within Mathematics and must be chosen after discussion with your advisor. Students who plan a career in actuarial sciences may choose some finance and economics courses to meet these requirements. We recommend this plan of study for all students who wish to pursue actuarial sciences or graduate studies in mathematics.
Completion Program Curriculum
Please see the list below for a sample curriculum. The sample curriculum is for a student who may want to prepare for actuarial sciences, and therefore take most of the electives in Business and Economics. Keep in mind that this is only a sample. Once you are admitted to the program, we will create a customized curriculum for you.
After being admitted to the program your advisor will carefully review your transcripts and will create a degree completion plan with you. This plan will be tailored to your needs and interests, and may also be spread over a longer period of time if you prefer to be a less-than-full-time student. If you would like to have a preliminary plan of studies, please contact Lori in the office of Admissions.
You may complete all required Mathematics classes and most of the additional program requirements online at IU East. Your advisor will help you determine which courses you need to complete.
- MATH-M 215 Calculus I (5 cr) offered online in Fall and Summer terms *
- MATH-M 216 Calculus II (5 cr) offered online in Spring and Summer terms *
- MATH-M 311 Calculus III (3 cr) *
- MATH-M 371 Numerical Methods (3 cr) §
- MATH-M 380 History of Math (3 cr) §
- MATH-M 413 Real Analysis (3 cr) *
- MATH-M 393 Bridge to Abstract Math (3 cr) *
- MATH-M 403 Modern Algebra (3 cr) *
- BUS-A 201 Intro to Accounting I (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 118 Finite Mathematics (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 313 Differential Equations (3 cr) §
- BUS-A 202 Intro to Accounting II (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 366 Statistical Techniques (3 cr) §
- MATH-M 447 Mathematical Modeling I (3 cr)
- BUS-F 301 Financial Management (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- BUS-F 303 Financial Decision Making (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 448 Mathematical Modeling II (3 cr) §
- MATH-M 499 Senior Seminar (2 cr) *
- BUS-F 420 Equity and Fixed Income Investments (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- INFO-I 201 Mathematical Foundations of Informatics (4 cr) or other elective ☼
Total credit hours for this degree must total at least 120. At least 30 credit hours must be earned at IU East.Lori Current
Asst. Director, Admissions
151C Whitewater Hall
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, Indiana 47374
1-800-959-EAST, extension 238