Minor in Literature
Non-English majors must complete courses from the list below. English majors must complete 15 additional credit hours (5 courses) beyond the 36 required for the major in order to qualify for any English minor or certificate.
At least 9 of the 18 credit hours must be at the 300 level and above.
Minor Requirements (18 cr)
- ENG-L 202 Literary Interpretation
- Choose one Background in British Literature from:
- Choose one Background in American Literature from:
- ENG-L 351 American Literature 1800-1865
- ENG-L 352 American Literature 1865-1914
- ENG-L 355 American Fiction to 1900
- ENG-L 356 American Poetry to 1900
- ENG-L 361 Studies in 19th Century American Literature
- Other courses may apply, consult with the English dept
- Choose one Modern Literature from:
- ENG-L 299 English Literature Since 1800
- ENG-L 332 Romantic Literature
- ENG-L 335 Victorian Literature
- ENG-L 354 American Literature since 1914
- ENG-L 357 20th Century American Poetry
- ENG-L 358 20th Century American Fiction
- ENG-L 384 Studies in American Culture
- Other courses as approved by the English department
- Choose one Literature in World & Cultural Context from:
- Choose one English elective.
Note: Other courses may apply toward the certificate as approved by the certificate advisors.
You will compile a portfolio of three literary projects of different focuses completed for courses and write a reflective essay of introduction. The portfolio will be reviewed by at least two English faculty. Your advisor will coordinate the portfolio review process.