Prospective students must submit the following application components:
- Letter of Application - Should include a rationale for transitioning to a teaching career and briefly articulate relevant experience. The proposed area of licensure should be stated.
- Letters of Recommendation - Two sealed letters of recommendation completed on the Recommendation Form provided on this website. Letter should be sent directly from the person making the recommendation to the Director of Graduate Studies In Education. Letters should be from persons who know the candidate well. Letters may not be from family members.
- CASA Exam - The CASA exam, administered through Pearson Education, is required to be admitted into any Teacher Education program in the state of Indiana.
Policy with the Indiana Department of Education has also created alternatives to the traditional CASA scores. The CASA score requirement is waived if the candidate meets any of the following requirements:
- ACT with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE with a score of at least 1100 based on verbal and quantitative
- A Master's Degree from a regionally accredited institution
- ACT, SAT, GRE score requirements do not include writing
- If you have taken and passed the PRAXIS I exam prior to 9/1/13 and have your scores, you may contact Carla Bowen (firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-973-8615) to inquire whether you need to take the CASA exam.
- Pearson Content and Pedagogy Tests - Applicants wanting licensure to teach grades 6-12 must have appropriate scores in the content area (math, sciences, English, social studies) they want to teach and pedgogy tests. These are two separate tests administered through Pearson. Applicant is reponsible for taking and passing these tests. The scores may be submitted directly to Indiana University East. The Pearson testing website can be found at the Indiana Core Assessments website.
Note: Applicants wanting elementary licensure must complete teh CASA exam prior to admission, but are NOT required to submit final Pearson scores until they apply for licensure at the completion of the Transition to Teaching Program. This is because you will need information taught during the program to pass the test.
- Official College Transcripts - Transcripts must be sent to the Director of Graduate Programs in Education from the institution granting the degree or credit. If student is a graduate of Indiana University, then official transcripts are not necessary.
- Current resume - Resume must include contact information for verification of prior experience.
- Other documentation - Applicants are strongly encouraged to provide other materials which evidence the applicant's suitability for the teaching profession and prior experience with children. This component would also include any evidence submitted for consideration for possible required course reduction through Prior Learning Assessment.
- Writing Sample and Interview - All applicants to the T2T program must complete an interview and submit a writing sample as part of their application to the Teacher Education Program. Writing samples and interviews are scheduled with the School of Education Admissions committee and occur on campus. This interview and writing sample is the final determinant of the applicant's acceptance to the T2T program.
- Complete Application for Graduate Studies - Student must fill out an application for graduate studies with IU East and declare themselves a non-degree seeking graduate student. This form should be submitted to the Admissions office on campus along with the processing fee. This form and processing fee can also be completed online.