Masters of Science in Education
The graduate level Education degree program is a three semester endeavor with a mixture of classes, seminars, and practical development.
Admission to Program
Before gaining admission to the Masters of Science in Education program, prospective students will need to assemble a portfolio for review. This portfolio should be submitted by March 1 to receive priority consideration, and should include:
- Professional objective statement articulating the applicant’s professional objectives and career plan
- Two letters of recommendation - one from the student’s building administrator and one from a teaching colleague.
- Professional documentation representing the teacher’s ability to engage learners and write and assess effective curriculum
- A personal interview with the Director of Graduate Studies or designee
- A non-refundable $50 application fee, payable to IU East
First Semester (15 cr)
Students will attend the Best Practice Academy, an intensive six week summer program, earn 12 credits during the summer, followed by a single course during the academic year. They will examine and analyze current prevailing practice regarding what is most effective and efficient in the way of programs, curriculum, strategies and practice.
The Best Practice Academy
- EDUC-F 500 Community of Learners
- EDUC-J 511 Differentiated Instruction
- EDUC-J 655 Seminar in Multicultural and Global Educ.
- EDUC-L 501 Advanced Reading Methods (Secondary)
- EDUC-L545 Advanced Reading Methods (Elementary)
- EDUC-F 500 or E595 Action Research in the classroom during the academic year.
Second Semester (15-18 cr)
Combine your analysis of professional practice in your classroom and school with courses you select based on your professional development objectives. You will have the opportunity to research and share the practices you find most effective in your classroom.
Third Semester (3-6 cr)
Students will investigate an area of professional practice you consider to be significant in which you desire to develop expertise.