Friday, May 15, 2015 (6:00 p.m.)
at Tiernan Center at Richmond High School
Arrive at 5:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. if you are getting pictures taken).
- Your family and friends should go to the Tiernan Center.
- Please give all your valuables and personal belongings to a family member or friend to hold.
Graduates need to be in the RHS cafeteria by 5:10 p.m.
- Distribute 3x5 name cards. The card has your name on it, whether or not you are graduating with honors, and a number. The number indicates the order in which you should line-up.
- Distribute honors cords. Only Dec. 2014 and May 2015 honor graduates will receive honor cords. Please wear your honor cords over your left shoulder.
- Distribute military/veterans service cords.
Once everyone is lined-up, we will begin the processional at 5:40 p.m.
- Hold on to your name card. Tassels on the right. Honor cords on the left.
- Each school will be led by their school’s banner carrier (Banners will be handed to banner carriers before entering the Tiernan Center). Follow your banner carrier to the center seating area in the Tiernan Center, go to your seat, and remain standing.
- You will be told when to sit.
- Processional begins at 5:40 p.m.
- Graduates invited to the stage to receive congratulatory recognition and their diploma covers.
- Precede one row at a time to the stage. Access to the stage will be by the steps on the right (as you face the stage). Walk up the steps and give your 3x5 card to the Registrar.
- Wait until Mr. Hicks reads your name, then proceed across the stage. Your school Dean will congratulate you. Chancellor Cruz-Uribe will congratulate you.
- As you descend the steps on the left side, you will receive a gift from the Alumni Association and pause momentarily for a photo.
- Return to your seat and remain standing. Don’t sit until your entire row has returned.
Diplomas covers presented during the ceremony will not contain actual diplomas. December graduates should have already received their diplomas. The actual diplomas, for May, June, and August graduates, should be available approximately six weeks after you have been certified for graduation. May, June, and August graduates will be notified via email by the Office of Student Records when your diplomas have arrived. You will then have the option of picking up your diploma in Whitewater Hall, Rm. 116 or having your diploma mailed to you. If you come to our office to pick-up your diploma, please be sure to bring a picture ID.
All graduates need to return their gown to University personnel in the smaller auxiliary gym immediately following commencement. December graduates should place their diploma cover in the “Diploma Cover Return” box, also in the auxiliary gym.
Remind your guests about proper crowd etiquette. Please ask them to remain in their seats until the commencement ceremony ends and, if they must go to out to the foyer, that they remain quiet. Thanks!