Travel + Day 1

It was around 1pm on Monday that we said our goodbyes and boarded our first flight to Minneapolis, where we had about a 1.5 hour layover before boarding again for Paris, France. This flight was about nine hours plus another two hour layover before taking our final two hour flight, now with the students from St. Mary’s, to Durin, Italy. From here we all traveled by bus for one hour to Alba. After all of this travel, sleep would yet evade us, as it was only about 11am in Alba. We spent the first half of this day getting acquainted with the town, being shown important locations, restaurants, and banks where we could change our money to the almighty Euro. At 5:30pm we convened in the Chieasa san Giuseppe with the St. Mary’s students and faculty where we went over a lot of the details for the International Music Festival starting on Thursday (It was Tuesday at this point). The rest of the group had managed to grab coffee before the meeting, but, being a non-coffee drinker, I passed. This was a sore mistake after all of the travel and being awake for over 24 hours at this point. My head began to do the ‘bob’ as I fought sleep with every ounce of strength in my body. The meeting ended and I chose to pass on dinner to take a short nap in the hotel. A few hours later, at about 10pm, about half of our group (IUE) decided to see where we could go to get a wi-fi connection, so we went down the street to Vin Cafe, were we enjoyed a light snack and a glass of wine. The wi-fi, unfortunately, only worked long enough for one of us to send out an email and then stopped working altogether. We returned to the hotel where I took a hot shower and then passed out for a good night’s sleep.